Thursday, June 12, 2008

Uncle Said

Getting so much closer. I believe that my last session put me on solid ground, and I have 2 more left. Even better, my uncle called me today, and made me feel extraordinary.

Uncle Said is a former criminal trying to live a decent life for himself. I admire him still, because out of all my uncles, he has always been closer to my heart and more apt to give advice on life. Not only that, we share the same birthday, him being exactly 14 years older. A lot of times I think he regrets not being able to give me the tutelage I needed growing up in a rough neighborhood. That's not his fault, that responsibility lay with my father. And it's too far gone now to hold any grudges or claim that I didn't get enough of anything. I am who I am now, and in order for me to progress, I must surmount the past that has, up until this point, held me in shackles.

He asked if I was alright, and I told him the truth. "No." I gave him the spiel about the breakup, and he understood. He was more for moving on and just chalking it all up, but he knew that was not in my mind at all. Soon he was sympathetic, and said that he has been in love numerous times, and yet he knew who he was. He knew that beyond any woman he was still quite a catch, still confident that love would find him again.

He was less forgiving about the fact I was in therapy. Sounded crazy to him, I imagine, but we're talking about a man who's been married three times himself. Excuse me if I dismiss his objections about my own solutions to problems. One thing I do agree with him on is the fact that I am, without a doubt, an anomaly. I am a commodity. He said I am poised for nothing but success.

I say this because for one, I am well educated. Secondly, I have no children. I am intelligent and good looking enough to pass for a man that's 6 years younger. Last, but not least, I am a black man with no criminal record. I'm so rare you could auction me off to the highest bidder.

But that's the potential for excellence. In my mind, I am, and will always be, more than the sum of my experiences. There is an account for what's in my heart. I am a good man, a good son, a good brother. I revere God, and I pray for the salvation of others. I have come from the bottom, only to rise to the top. I am proud of that.
As a man, there are only two questions I have to worry about next: Where am I going? Who's coming with me?

We talked some about a new business venture he's come up with. This dude wants me to build him a website for a clothing business he's thought up. That's fine and dandy, but he also gave me a year to think about moving back to Cleveland. Yeah right. I hate Cleveland.

Life goes in circles. You never know who you may see again. And then, there are others you pray to never cross your path again in life or death. Uncle Said knows that I love and respect him, so I will do as he asks, but as for advice on love, I'll skip that one. He really has a lot of experience, but it seems that he continues with the same mistakes. My circle is broken now. I have to move forward knowing I can never make the mistake I made ever again, with whomever I may be with.

God bless, y'all.

No comments: