Friday, June 13, 2008

Elite Dinner

Seems my new branch made #1 this month, so I found myself back at the awards dinner. Everyone was so cool and just excited for the upcoming months.

I got a chance to speak with Raj Vhan, who is the loss prevention manager for our group. He asked me about East St. Louis and why I left, and I was more than happy to tell him that it is pretty much a place that brings you down, that will destroy your sense of worth. But what got me was his knowledge of what goes on in the minds of folks in the inner city. He knew about Darius Miles, NBA hopeful, who had pretty much screwed his chances because of hanging with his boys and getting into trouble. Darius was known to frequent clubs in E. Saint.

He knew about the racism, the wildly subtle undercurrent and how it cripples your chances of getting ahead. I was so excited that someone actually knew what I had been saying for years. He has validated the same thoughts I have had for years. That was real talk. I want to talk to him about it more...

No comments: