Monday, February 8, 2010

The Book of Eli

I had the honor of seeing the new Hughes Brothers sci-fi epic, The Book of Eli, and I was truly impressed. Denzel Washington is a notably excellent actor, deeply respected by his peers and a recipient of numerous accolades, including an Oscar. In this movie he plays the role of Eli, a post-apocalyptic nomad on a mission to deliver a very important book. He believes his mission to be God inspired, and he is prepared to do anything in his power to make sure his package arrives safely.

I was surprised by the action sequences, mostly because I am not used to seeing Denzel doing any fight choreography where scenes involve martial art type movements. It was truly impressive, in my opinion.

I won’t go into too much detail about what happens in the movie, but I will say that it caused a dramatic resurgence in my faith as a Christian. I mean, I was actually in tears at some points in the movie because I so empathized with the character. Here we have a man on a quest who doesn’t even know where it is going to lead him, walking by faith alone. “We walk by faith, not by sight…” Yeah. I cried.
I cried because I have been so out of touch with God these past few months that I was taking it all for granted. I mean, I was truly reminded that this is WAR. Seriously. Every day is a battle, where we are caught within the world and its dangerous plights while trying desperately to cling to the tenets of our faith. The Eli character did this remarkably well, and showed strength in the face of monstrous and unbelievable conditions.

I wish to be like that. I want to be able to walk tall and stand proud in the affirmation that Christ saved me from myself. I know this isn’t written as well as it is supposed to be, but I hope God can see its sincerity. I hope that you all get a chance to see this movie. Maybe it will change your life as it did mine.

So we are always of good courage. We know that while we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord, for we walk by faith, not by sight. Yes, we are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord. So whether we are at home or away, we make it our aim to vplease him. 1For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive what is due for what he has done in the body, whether good or evil. -2 Corinthians 5:6-10

No comments: