Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Killing or Murder- Greater Sin or Acceptable in God's Eyes?

Riddle me this, Batman: is killing wrong, or is it murder that is wrong? If we kill some one in self defense, is it still wrong? Does it matter that Jesus said to "turn the other cheek"?

Matthew 5:39 reads: "But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also."

The words of Jesus Christ. Yet, my father would tell me that killing is ok and murder is not. Jesus doesn't draw a distinction. The 10 Commandments also state that "Thou shalt not kill". So am I to believe that one is more acceptable than the other? Doesn't the Bible say that no sin is greater than another? James 2:10 states that: "For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it." Does this scripture not mean that any sin you commit you are just as culpable as though you broke them all?

If there is someone who can shed greater light on this, go ahead. I would like to know if I am misinterpreting something. My father swears up and down that "murder" is what the Commandments refer to, and not "killing". Once again, Jesus doesn't draw that distinction.

Thoughts?

No comments: